There is scarcely a person in the world who doesn’t wish to wear whatever they want and sport skin that is smooth and free of hair. But how many women are fortunate to have scanty hair growth that is barely visible on their limbs?
For those of us who need to schedule regular salon appointments to wax the visible hair off, it seems like a never-ending struggle to keep the hair off for long. Just a few days after it is removed, it creeps back and becomes visible, so you have to do the hair removal process all over again. If only there was a way to remove the hair permanently!
There is – it’s called laser hair removal and it keeps the hair away for several months at a time.
How is hair permanently removed?
There are two most popular methods of permanent hair removal practised in the UAE and indeed, around the world. They are electrolysis and laser hair removal.
* Electrolysis: This is a method of permanent hair removal in which small needles are placed into the skin to target hair follicles using shortwave frequencies. These frequencies destroy the hair follicles and soon, the hair shaft is completely destroyed. It soon falls off and the skin becomes hair-free. Though largely considered safe and a treatment that can be used anywhere on the body except the face and eyes, there is a risk of infection from the needles. In rare cases, there may be deep red scarring and blistering at the treated site.
* Laser hair removal: This method employs the use of a high heat laser beam focussed on the hair follicle to burn it completely. The hair shaft is destroyed and it must rebuild itself slowly. However, this process takes months and not all the hair shafts can rebuild themselves. Laser hair removal is a more permanent hair removal solution because of this property. Also, it can be used anywhere on the body including the face, but not on the eyes. Also, the treatment works better on light skin tones having darker hair – the darker pigment in the hair absorbs more of the laser beam and thus, more of the hair is removed with one sweep. Only a skilled doctor or dermatologist must wield the laser beam equipment, because the treatment can result in burns and scarring in the wrong hands.
Is it for you?
Every woman deserves to have hair-free, radiant skin that is the joy of her life – and so do you! If you are annoyed at the low success rate of other hair removal solutions being marketed in UAE, or want longer intervals in between hair removal sessions, then you must certainly opt for laser hair removal.
Do understand beforehand that there may be some mild side effects due to the laser hair removal treatment. These include:
- Soreness of the treated area
- In rare cases, blistering and peeling of the skin
- In rare cases, scarring of the skin
However, the redness and soreness subside soon and you will not feel any discomfort thereafter. You must take some basic precautions after the treatment, such as:
- Do not expose the treated skin to direct sunlight for at least two weeks after the procedure. Use only a doctor-approved sunscreen lotion on the treated area
- Do not use tanning beds or communal swimming pools for a fortnight after the procedure
- Do not shower using harsh soaps or body washes. Use cool water and a doctor-recommended body wash for the recommended time after the procedure
- Hydrate the treated skin using the moisturiser that the doctor will provide for you
- Cover the treated skin with loose cotton clothing even at home
- Do not take any OTC medication or apply any creams for soreness or pain in the skin. Instead, consult your doctor and ask what you should do for pain relief
You might require some repeat sessions after a few months, depending on the rate of hair regrowth and density of regrown hair. But you should largely not require a follow up session for at least six months. During this time, you can enjoy hair-free, radiant skin that allows you to wear whatever you want.