Acne is a skin condition causing red pimples. It occurs when hair follicles plug with oil and dead skin cells. It causes whiteheads, blackheads or pimples. It is one of the most common skin problems found among teenagers worldwide. But nowadays it is experienced by all the age groups. It looks like a simple skin infection, but actually, it is not. Hence, instead of opting for simple home remedies, one must go for professional help. Let us have a detailed study of acne:
Symptoms vary depending upon the severity of the conditions:
- Whiteheads happen due to closed plugged pores
- Blackheads happen due to open plugged pores
- Papules with pus at their tips are called pimples
- Painful pus-filled lumps under the skin called cystic lesions
- Large solid, painful lumps called nodules
It can appear on the face, chest, neck, arms and back. The face is highly prone to acne. The skin of these areas have maximum oil glands, and hair follicles of these areas are directly connected to oil glands. Follicle wall either bulge to produce a whitehead, or the plug open to the surface, causing a blackhead. These blackheads are the pores filled with bacteria and oil, which turns brown when exposed to the air. If not treated properly in this phase, Acne can lead to post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), also known as acne marks. One should immediately seek professional help as acne marks can lead to permanent damage to the skin.
The problem of acne is not specific to any geography and is prevalent worldwide, including UAE. Worldwide anti-acne products market size is huge. Acne cream is extensively used by people of all age groups irrespective of gender. Acne cream in the UAE and globally can be purchased from retail stores, salons, medical stores, dermatology clinics, etc.
The medication for acne works by reducing oil production and treating bacterial infection. Its results are not visible immediately after the medication. It may take several months for positive results. In combination with other medications, Acne cream can be used for the treatment of acne. Acne cream contains benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxyl acid or sulfur. Let us review the above-stated content of the cream:
- Benzoyl peroxide: Acne cream having benzoyl peroxide as one of its compositions is widely used to treat acne. It is in the form of gel, cream, face wash and soap. It works by killing bacteria on the skin and removing pores’ clogging by removing dead skin. One should be careful while using it as it can cause bleaching of hair.
- Salicylic acid: Also known as beta hydroxy acid. It helps in removing dead skin and prevents pores from clogging.
- Alpha hydroxy acid: It helps remove dead skin and reduce inflammation. It helps in the growth of new skin and reduces scars. It is available either in the form of glycolic acid or lactic acid.
- Sulfur is mostly found in combination with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. It also removes dead skin and excessive oil that may cause breakouts.
Before using any acne cream in UAE or globally, one should go for an allergy check. For this, apply a small amount of cream on a small area of acne for three to four days and observe for any kind of allergic reaction. If you observe any kind of allergy, stop using the cream immediately and seek medical help as soon as possible.
Besides using acne cream one can also use an acne-free purifying cleanser. It is a mild facewash for the combination of oily and acne-prone skin. It removes dead skin cells. It helps clean pores and remove excess oil, dirt, and impurities. Cleanser mostly contains salicylic acid, one of the most effective ingredients for pimples ad future breakouts.
Precautions to be taken while using acne products:
- The acne area should be washed twice daily.
- Use cleansing cloths
- Pore-clearing adhesive pads should be considered.
- Oil-free and water-based moisturizers should be used
- Oily cosmetics, sunscreen creams and hair products should be avoided.
One must be patient while going through the treatment of acne. It takes time depending upon its severity and may vary among individuals.
Due to all these prevailing factors, the consumption of anti-Acne cream in the UAE and globally is continuously going on a higher trend.