Whatever you do in life shows up in the way your skin glows, or hair shines, or even body shapes up. This is an undeniable fact that you can do nothing about. Treat your body with respect and give it the nutrition, exercise and rest it needs, and your skin and hair glow with health and vitality. On the other hand, consume a poor diet and maintain an erratic lifestyle, and your body soon gains weight, your skin becomes oily and pimpled, and you begin to look like a much older version of yourself.
An unhealthy diet and lifestyle can cause the onset of premature aging in your skin. Soon, with repeated exposure to a poor diet, lack of exercise and poor sleep, your skin becomes dull and flaccid, prone to acne and wrinkles.
You cannot stop the march of time. Nor can you control the weather and pollution levels in Dubai, with its frequent high heat and dry spells that cause your skin to lose moisture and appear much older than it is. But you can certainly stop skin aging in its tracks with healthy living and the right remedial tools – it’s time to try the Dermapen micro-needling treatment to halt premature aging and get back the lost skin of your youth!
What is micro-needling and how is it done with a ‘pen’?
Micro-needling is the science of piercing the skin to a certain depth depending on the extent of the skin problem, and to achieve the desired outcome. It requires a high degree of precision and skill to administer this treatment, and only the most experienced dermatologists in the city offer this therapy to begin with. We recommend going to a dermatologist working with a leading skin care clinic in Dubai for the safest results and desired outcomes.
The procedure uses a series of slim needles to pierce the skin at varying depths. This induces localised bleeding inside the inner layers and tissues. In turn, it prompts the skin to repair itself by healing the site of the wound. This is how it works:
- A special ‘pen’ known as a ‘Dermapen’ is used for the procedure. The pen is fitted with several slim needles in a vertical setting. The entire device is slowly moved over the target area as per requirement.
- Prior to the treatment, the dermatologist applies a numbing cream on the area of the skin to be treated. Once it is absorbed by the skin, a special serum is applied. This ensures that you will not feel any discomfort with the piercing action.
- Now, the dermatologist treats the skin by running the Dermapen device over it. If the doctor wishes to resurface the skin, only a tiny depth of the skin is penetrated by the needles. However, the needles may go in deeper if the doctor wishes to treat acne scars, or wrinkles or problems at a tissue or cellular level. All of this is at the discretion of the doctor.
- Once pierced by needles, the tiny blood vessels in that area of the skin break and there is minor localised haemorrhaging as the cells flood the area to heal the wound. This process spurs the production of new collagen, which is the building block for skin, and also elastin, a substance that locks in moisture and induces elasticity in the skin. Both are somewhat lost as aging and stress set into the skin.
- The Dermapen is moved slowly across the facial skin. The process aids the skin in absorbing nutrients, and stimulates cellular repair and rejuvenation.
- The procedure cures a variety of skin conditions, from acne scarring to sun tanning and enlarged pores. It is most effective when the treatment is synchronised with the skin’s natural rejuvenation cycle, which occurs every 40 days.
What happens after the skin is treated?
As mentioned above, only an experienced dermatologist must administer the treatment. The treatment is totally safe, since the needles used are disposable ones. Also, there is no scarring post-treatment, though the skin will appear a little reddish and feel sore. Do tell the doctor if these symptoms persist beyond a few days.
However, the redness and soreness should completely disappear in a couple of days. You should see positive results within just a week of the treatment. The dermatologist can decide if you need a follow up treatment after a few months, and when to schedule it.
How to care for your skin post Dermapen microneedling treatment
Though there is hardly any pain after the treatment is done, you must be gentle with the treated skin.
- Avoid using harsh skin cleansers or face wash soaps. Use clean cool water to wash the treated skin for about three days post-treatment.
- Do not rub the treated skin but pat dry with a soft towel.
- Drink as much water as you can to aid the skin’s repair process and to make the treatment more effective.
- Do not expose the skin to direct sunlight for a fortnight after treatment.
- When heading out in the daylight hours, use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) liberally on the face and all exposed skin.
- Ask your dermatologists which skin care products are safe to use post-treatment.